I want to dedicate these lines to my faithful American* readers, I appreciate them dearly (yes, I DO have U.S. readers). Thank you for taking some time to read my texts over the years. These lines are written in English, just for you. :)
The title of my blog was inspired by some Daria lines I read on the MTV webpage when I was 20 or so. It was a description that said Daria Morgendorffer was born alienated, and I identified myself with those lines. Ten years ago, I used to be shy, and antisocial. I still am, but not so intensely as I was back then. I have to confess I was really unhappy in my early twenties. I was studying Information Systems at UNAM, and my life was miserable. I despised that mayor with all my heart. This decision was inspired in some advice given by my mother (who worked for 35 years in the creation of several database systems). She told me I would have more job opportunities and a better salary. She forgot to mention I was going to be miserable if it turned out I didn't like programming, databases, and stuff. And that was what happened. There is nothing worse than working in something you do not like nor love. You could earn lots and lots of money, but it's not worth it. And also, I have to say I didn't like my classmates either; most of them were so pasive (agachones), so silly, so well-adapted to this shitty system called capitalism, they made me feel like puking.
Fortunately, the sun always appears, even in the darkest of places. While studying databases and all that shit, I began to read like crazy. First, I read four Harry Potter books, then I read The Count of Montecristo, and I haven't stopped reading since then. I fell in love with literature while this nightmare was going on. In the end I chose to study a second major: English (at UNAM also, thank you UNAM, I love you so!). It was the best decision I could make. My mom opposed to this decision of mine; I didn't care. I may not be earning thousands and thousands of pesos, and job opportunities are scarce, BUT I don't regret it. I'm really happy. I think Daria also studied some major of the sort.
I love the English and Spanish language with all my heart. I have been writing journals, texts, informal opinions through all my life. In highschool, I used to fell sleep, draw, or write in a class devoted to computer programming and electronic circuits or some stuff like that. It bored me so much!! Why couldn't I see it before? Written languages were my destiny, computers NOT.
In my opinion, choosing a major over the advices of grown ups (such as parents, uncles, aunts, some teachers) is the worst thing a teenager can do. It may sound corny, but you have to follow only your own heart and choose something that you really like and that is in harmony with your capacities. You also have to do some research in order to have a better view of the options that conform the full career panorama. You'll be surprised. And last, but not least, don't pay attention to the ones that try to disuade you from studying and devote your life to something that you like and love. :)
*We Latin Americans strongly disagree with the use United States inhabitants give to the word Americans. America is a CONTINENT, from Alaska to Patagonia, not just a country called United States of America.
The title of my blog was inspired by some Daria lines I read on the MTV webpage when I was 20 or so. It was a description that said Daria Morgendorffer was born alienated, and I identified myself with those lines. Ten years ago, I used to be shy, and antisocial. I still am, but not so intensely as I was back then. I have to confess I was really unhappy in my early twenties. I was studying Information Systems at UNAM, and my life was miserable. I despised that mayor with all my heart. This decision was inspired in some advice given by my mother (who worked for 35 years in the creation of several database systems). She told me I would have more job opportunities and a better salary. She forgot to mention I was going to be miserable if it turned out I didn't like programming, databases, and stuff. And that was what happened. There is nothing worse than working in something you do not like nor love. You could earn lots and lots of money, but it's not worth it. And also, I have to say I didn't like my classmates either; most of them were so pasive (agachones), so silly, so well-adapted to this shitty system called capitalism, they made me feel like puking.
Fortunately, the sun always appears, even in the darkest of places. While studying databases and all that shit, I began to read like crazy. First, I read four Harry Potter books, then I read The Count of Montecristo, and I haven't stopped reading since then. I fell in love with literature while this nightmare was going on. In the end I chose to study a second major: English (at UNAM also, thank you UNAM, I love you so!). It was the best decision I could make. My mom opposed to this decision of mine; I didn't care. I may not be earning thousands and thousands of pesos, and job opportunities are scarce, BUT I don't regret it. I'm really happy. I think Daria also studied some major of the sort.
I love the English and Spanish language with all my heart. I have been writing journals, texts, informal opinions through all my life. In highschool, I used to fell sleep, draw, or write in a class devoted to computer programming and electronic circuits or some stuff like that. It bored me so much!! Why couldn't I see it before? Written languages were my destiny, computers NOT.
In my opinion, choosing a major over the advices of grown ups (such as parents, uncles, aunts, some teachers) is the worst thing a teenager can do. It may sound corny, but you have to follow only your own heart and choose something that you really like and that is in harmony with your capacities. You also have to do some research in order to have a better view of the options that conform the full career panorama. You'll be surprised. And last, but not least, don't pay attention to the ones that try to disuade you from studying and devote your life to something that you like and love. :)
*We Latin Americans strongly disagree with the use United States inhabitants give to the word Americans. America is a CONTINENT, from Alaska to Patagonia, not just a country called United States of America.